We are HUGE fans of the Masters at Augusta Label
Our team has been to the masters 10 times and trust us we are a bunch of fanboys. Check out some of our favorite facts!
Check these out!
- Bob Jones and Clifford Roberts organized the first event, later named the Masters
Tournament, at Augusta National in 1934.
- The Masters Tournament was called the "Augusta National Invitational" for the first five
- The first tournament was held March, 22 1934. Since 1940 however, the Masters was
scheduled for the first full week (Sunday – Sunday) in April each year.
- Horton Smith won the first tournament in 1934.
- Jack Nicklaus has the most Masters Tournament wins, with six.
- Jack Nicklaus became the oldest player to win a Masters Tournament, at 46 years, 2
months and 23 days – in 1986.
Amen Corner refers to holes No. 11, 12 and 13. In 1958, a Sports Illustrated writer, Herbert Warren Wind, named the second half of hole No. 11, hole No. 12 and the first half of hole No. 13 Amen Corner. This is where the critical action took place that year. He borrowed the name from an old jazz recording called “Shouting at Amen Corner” Creek was named after John Rae. The creek runs in front of the No. 12 green, has a tributary at the No. 13 tee, and passes by the back of the No. 11 green. Rae's house kept residents safe during Indian attacks. It was the furthest fortress up the Savannah River from Fort Augusta.
The pine tree is the most abundant tree at Augusta. Several species grow along the course, including Loblolly Pines, Shortleaf Pines, Slash Pines, Longleaf Pines, Eastern White Pines.
“The big oak tree” on the golf course side of the Clubhouse is about 145-150 years old. This live oak tree was planted in the 1850's.
Magnolia Lane extends from the entrance gate to the clubhouse. The 61 large magnolia trees that line both sides of the 330-yard road date to the late 1850s.
Founders Circle is at the base of the flagpole in front of the clubhouse. Two plaques there honor the Masters' founders: Bob Jones and Clifford Roberts.
There are three dedicated bridges at Augusta National: the Sarazen Bridge at hole No. 15 — to honor Gene Sarazen's double eagle there during the 1935 Masters, the Hogan Bridge at the No. 12 green — to honor Ben Hogan's then record score of 274 in 1953, and the Nelson. The bridge at the No. 13 tee — to honor Byron Nelson's performance on holes No. 12 and 13 when he won the 1937 Masters.
The Crow's Nest provides housing for amateurs during the Masters Tournament. It has room for up to five players.
The Champions Dinner is for members of the Masters Club, those who have won a Masters Tournament, and is hosted by the defending champion on Tuesday of Masters week.
The Par 3 Fountain is next to the No. 1 tee on the Par 3 course. This Fountain has a list of Par 3 contest winners, starting with Sam Snead's win in 1960.
The Record Fountain was built to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Masters. It is located left of the No. 17 tee and displays course records and Masters Tournament winners.
The 10 Augusta National Golf Club Cabins are located on the grounds of Augusta National and provide lodging for members and their guests. One of the cabins is named the
Eisenhower Cabin because the Club built it for President and Mrs. Eisenhower for their visits to Augusta National.
The tournament was not played during the years 1943, 1944 and 1945 because of World War II. To help with the war effort, turkey and cattle were raised on the Augusta National Grounds.
No amateur has ever won the Masters.
No one has ever won the par three tournament and the Masters Tournament in the same year.
Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and former amateur standout and now Senior PGA Tour player John Harris are the only pro golfers who are members.
Avid golfer Dwight (Ike) Eisenhower is the only U.S. president to have been a club member. Ike's Pond occupies 3 acres near hole No. 9 on the par-3 course, a nine-holelayout that is the site of the traditional Par 3 Contest on Wednesday of Masters week.
The club was conceived by Bobby Jones and Clifford Roberts. Their vision was to establish a national membership for the club. They took a $70,000 option on a 365-acre property called Fruitland Nurseries in Augusta, Ga. Jones and Alistair Mackenzie of Scotland designed the course. Construction began in 1931. The course opened in 1932 with limited play. Formal opening was January 1933.
Each hole is named after a plant or shrub. For example, No. 3 is called "Flowering Crab Apple.& “The tradition of members wearing green jackets began in 1937, when jackets were purchased from New York's Brooks Uniform Co. The idea was that Masters patrons easily could see members who would have accurate information.
Chairmen: Billy Payne, May 21, 2006-present; William (Hootie) Johnson, 1998-May 2006; Jack Stephens, 1991-98; Hord Hardin, 1980-91; William Lane, 1976-80; Clifford Roberts, 1934-76. Billy Payne began his tenure as the club's sixth chairman May 21, 2006.
A Jack Nicklaus plaque, honoring the six-time Masters champion, is affixed to a drinking fountain between holes 16 and 17. An Arnold Palmer plaque, commemorating the play and contributions of the four-time Masters winner, is affixed to a drinking fountain behind the No. 16 tee. “The Masters” was coined by Clifford Roberts in 1938 (used starting in 1939), though Bobby Jones was never a fan — referencing to thetournament as late as 1963 as "the so-called Masters." The building of Augusta National almost never happened, and it remained an economic burden through World War II: Founded at the beginning of the Great Depression, the original business plan called for 1,800 members, but when the first Masters was held in 1934, the club only had 76 paying members. The club couldn't afford to pay the first winner, Horton Smith or any of the top finishers until 17 members chipped in for the purse. In 1946, the delivery of the winner's plaque to Herman Keiser was delayed to give time for the club and its members to pay for the silver.
The original plans for Augusta included two 18-hole courses (a championship course and ladies course), outdoor tennis courts, squash courts, an 18-hole pitch-and-putt course, a bridle path, a couple dozen houses for members and an on-site hotel. In addition, the Dennis Redmond manor house was to be torn down and a new $100,000 clubhouse was to be built. But a lack of funding forced them to build only one course and use the Redmond house for the clubhouse.
Famed golf course architect and Augusta designer Alister MacKenzie died before the grass had been planted — never playing or seeing the course in its finished form. Jones and Roberts originally petitioned the USGA to host the 1934 US Open, and only after it was rejected did they decide to host their own annual tournament — which the PGA officially listed unnamed for the first time in a brief note in their 1934 schedule as one of "four tournaments already scheduled for the spring season at… Augusta National Golf Course, March 22, 23, 24 and 25 … Details of these events will be given once completed."
Augusta originally planned to have a 19th hole, at the request of Bobby Jones. The idea was to have an extra hole so a losing golfer could have an another opportunity to win back his money in a game of double or nothing. It was to be 90-yards long, uphill towards the clubhouse between the 9th and 18th greens. The idea was dropped partly because of economic reasons and partly because it would impede the view to the 18th green for patrons watching the Masters.